Recently my husband and I have been trying to change our diet and become more healthy through our eating choices. Of course our main motivation is to lose weight, but ideally we would like to eventually be eating a whole foods diet.
One recipe that I will add to our new life-style repertoire is this Whole Wheat Banana Bread recipe made with applesauce and honey versus sugar and oil. I tried this with trepidation because I used applesauce to replace oil a couple of months ago and I wasn’t too pleased with the outcome. However I think using whole wheat flour vs. white adds a new depth to banana bread, and the honey provides a sweetness without over doing it. Everything balances out nicely.
Credit for this recipe should be given to the blog 8 Weeks to a Better You Recipes, which I found via Pinterest.
Oh, and one last note: The saying goes that bread tastes best right out of the oven; however I don’t think that old adage applies here.
Whole Wheat Banana Bread
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar free applesauce
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 mashed overripe bananas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together applesauce and honey. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.